New Page

Monday, July 22, 2019

Santa Sangre (1989)

Santa Sangre is a like a surrealist painting; it is unique, grabs you attention in an instant, and full of images and ideas which will cause viewers to go insane trying to understand their meanings. Every new viewing makes you feel closer to some sort of an epiphany that will finally put your mind at ease, but right when you think you "get it" a shocking image brings you back to square one. Alejandro Jodorowsky is one of those few directors who I would love to have a deep lengthy conversation with. His films intimidate me because after each viewing I am left a rush of emotions that I never can get a grip on, and I love it. Nothing is more satisfying in a film experience than having your mind strained and intelligence tested, and that is what Santa Sangre does - its images shock and its ideas test.

No comments:

Post a Comment